Jaka Primorac, PhD
Jaka Primorac works as a Research Associate at the Department for Culture and Communication, Institute for Development and International Relations (IRMO), Zagreb, Croatia. She holds a Ph.D. (2010) in Sociology from Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb, Croatia. Her research interests are in the field of cultural and creative industries, cultural labour, cultural transition and digital culture. She is the winner of the 2005 Cultural Policy Research Award, given by the European Cultural Foundation (ECF) and Riksbankens Jubileumsfond for her project on the position of cultural workers in creative industries in Southeastern Europe.
She worked on a number of research projects in Croatia and abroad - e.g. study on encouraging private investment in the cultural sector for European Parliament; on ‘Mobility Matters’, ‘G2CC - Research Resources on European Cultural Co-operation’ projects for ERICarts Institute; as a short term consultant for World Bank on the analysis of the mechanisms and opportunities to promote cultural heritage for local economic development in the Western Balkans; ASO project on redefining cultural identities; and on FP7 project MEDIADEM (coordinated by ELIAMEP Institute).
Dr. Primorac is a member of the Culturelink Network team, and is one of co-authors of the Croatia county profile for COMPENDIUM of Cultural Policies and Trends. She is a member of Croatian Sociological Association (HSD), as well as European Sociological Association (ESA) and International Sociological Association (ISA).
Publications & References
Books published - authored and edited
- Primorac, Jaka (2008) The Position of Cultural Workers in Creative Industries. The South-Eastern European Perspective, Amsterdam, European Cultural Foundation, ISSN/ISBN:9789062820481
- Švob-Đokić, Nada, Jaka Primorac and Krešmir Jurlin (2008) The Culture of Oblivion. The Industrialization of Culture / Kultura zaborava. Industrijalizacija kulturnih djelatnosti, Zagreb, Naklada Jesenski i Turk & Hrvatsko sociološko društvo, ISSN/ISBN:9532222847, 9789532222845
Articles or chapters
- Primorac, Jaka (2011) 'Culture of Hits vs. Culture of Niches - Cultural Industries and Processes of Cultural Identification in Croatia’', IN: Švob-Đokić, Nada and Aldo Milohnić (eds.) Cultural Transition in Southeastern Europe. Cultural Identity Politics in the (Post-)Transitional Societies, Zagreb: Institute for Internationa Culturelink Joint Publication Series 14 p. 149-161, ISSN/ISBN:9789536096565
- Primorac, Jaka (2010) 'From Global Cultural Industry to Niche Cultures: Cultural Consumption and Cultural Production in Croatia/ Od globalne kulturne industrije do kultura niša: Kulturna potrošnja i kulturna proizvodnja u H', IN: Švob-Šokić, Nada (ed.), Culture/Multiculture [Kultura/Multikultura], Zagreb: Naklada Jesenski i Turk, Hrvatsko Sociološko Društvo. p. 49-67, ISSN/ISBN:9789532223583
- Primorac, Jaka and Krešimir Jurlin (2008) 'Access, Piracy and Culture: The Implications of Digitalization in Southeastern Europe', IN: Uzelac, Aleksandra and Biserka Cvjetičanin (eds.), Digital Culture: The Changing Dynamics, Zagreb: Institute for International Relations p. 71-89, ISSN/ISBN:9789536096466
- Švob-Đokić, Nada, Jaka Primorac and Krešimir Jurlin (2008) 'Southeastern Europe. Emergences and Developments', IN: Anheier, Helmut K. and Yudhishthir R. Isar (eds) Cultures and Globalization: The Cultural Economy. The Cultures and Globalization Series, Los Angeles, London: Sage Publications p. 444-456, ISSN/ISBN:1412934745, 9781412934749
- Primorac, Jaka (2008) 'Private Sector of Croatian Creative Industries in Virtual Space', IN: Cvjetičanin, Biserka (ed.), Connecting Croatia. The Public, Private and Civil Sector of Culture in the Virtual Space, Zagreb: IMO p. 25-35, ISSN/ISBN:9789536096480
- Primorac, Jaka (2007) 'Attitudes of Cultural Workers towards Creative Industries Development and the City in Southeastern Europe', IN: Švob-Đokić, Nada (ed.), The Creative City: Crossing Visions and New Realities in the Region, Zagreb: Institute for International Relations, Culturelink Joint Publications Series No. 11 11 p. 55-65, ISSN/ISBN:9789536096428
- Primorac, Jaka (2005) 'Development of Cultural Industries and the Spread of New Technologies', IN: Švob-Đokić, Nada (ed.), The Emerging Creative Industries in Southeastern Europe, Zagreb: Institute for International Relations p. 25-35, ISSN/ISBN:9536096374
- Primorac, Jaka (2004) 'Mapping the Position of Cultural Industries in Southeastern Europe', IN: Švob-Đokić, Nada (ed.), Cultural Transitions in Southeastern Europe, Zagreb: Institute for International Relations, Culturelink Joint Publication Series No 6 6 p. 59-78, ISSN/ISBN:9536096358
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: Zagreb, Croatia
cultural and creative industries, cultural transitions, cultural identities, cultural production and consumption, cultural policies in South-Eastern Europe